The ‘inns’ and outs of Welton’s public houses


From the moment the Romans arrived around 2000 years ago, Britain began developing a taste for communal drinking, thanks to the tabernae they set up along the roads to keep their troops supplied with wine.

A few hundred years later, Saxon life reshaped this culture, with home‑brewed ale becoming the norm and surplus batches sold straight from the houses of alewives, giving rise to the earliest village alehouses.

After 1066, the Normans expanded things further: monasteries and newly founded inns offered travellers a warm meal, a drink, and a bed for the night, creating the first recognisable network of English hospitality.

Jump forward to 1830 and the Beerhouse Act. This allowed almost any householder to brew and sell beer for a small fee—it was an attempt to curb gin drinking that instead sparked an explosion of tiny, often short‑lived beerhouses across towns and villages.

It’s a tale of how pubs gradually transformed from simple roadside wine stops for Roman soldiers into the beating heart of British community life — and Welton was part of the story. Like many villages, it relied on its pubs as social hubs where everyday life unfolded.

In 1841, Welton had a population of 635 ‘souls’. How many drinking establishments could be supported by such a number?

The White Horse circa 1895 – 1905

We are all familiar with The White Horse on High Street, shown above around the turn of the 20th century. Our lovely, CAMRA recognised village hub, The White Horse is a historic two-storey, thatched-roof coaching inn, with its origins in the 14th century. Its age shows in the drop from the street – the pub existed when the road was a dirt track, and as it became developed and surfaced over hundreds of years, created that step down.

Located at the heart of the village on the High Street, it has served the community for centuries and continues to do so today. It was frequently used to hold auctions and sales, and many newspaper cuttings show the pub being central to the social life of the village.

Northampton Mercury 30 August 1935

The White Horse is on our list of buildings to research further! In the meantime you can see some historic photos of the pub here.


Many readers will also know the Red Lion Inn – now a home known as the Old Red Lion at the bottom of Churchill Road.

The Red Lion was part of village life for 250 years or more. Its roots reach deep into the 1700s, with a 1750 licence noting Edward Munday taking over from John Thomas as landlord.

Throughout the 1800s it appeared on local maps and in multiple press cuttings as an integral part of the village. For much of its time as an inn, The Red Lion was a modest thatched building.

The structure standing today dates from the late Victorian or early Edwardian period, starting to appear on photographs around the turn of the 20th century.

In 1960 the pub called last orders for the final time and the property was delicensed and became the private residence now known as The Old Red Lion.

You can read a very detailed history of the Red Lion here including fascinating information about some of its residents stretching across the empire.


For a long time we’d heard tell about a third pub in Welton, but had no name to go with the rumour. The census didn’t help, and the business directories we checked listed only the familiar pair — the White Horse and the Red Lion.

Then came a breakthrough; we were given a village memory written by Tom Pearcey in 1841. In it, while describing Welton’s inns, he mentions “Wheatsheaf John – his name was Boys.” That raised the intriguing question: was there really a Wheatsheaf in Welton, or had John Boys worked at the one in Braunston or Daventry – or was it all a figment of Tom’s imagination?

The 1841 census does list a John Boys and his family, though without an occupation, and by 1851 they seem to have left the village.

Our next clue came from an 1841 Welton business listing for the Fawsley Hundred, where we saw it in black and white in an official document: “Boys John, victualler, Wheatsheaf.” This was a clear suggestion that a pub called The Wheatsheaf had existed in the village.

The trail strengthened when we tracked down a copy of the 1847 Kelly’s Directory for Welton — an early form of Yellow Pages. There it was again: “John Boyes, tavern keeper, Wheatsheaf.”

Finally, after more digging, the definitive evidence appeared in an 1840 newspaper cutting, confirming beyond doubt that Welton once had a third inn: The Wheatsheaf.

We believe the Wheatsheaf was towards the top of the village, based on where we estimate John Boys to have been living on the 1841 census. It was likely a similar modest building to the original Red Lion, and would have been John’s family home as well as an inn. It disappears as an inn by about 1850 although the building may well have existed after that time.

So three pubs for 641 people sounds excessive, but village inns of the past were far more than places to drink. They were the warm, social heart of the community at a time when homes had no electricity, no running water, and very little heating. People gathered there to talk, share news, and escape the cold. Pubs also doubled as essential public spaces: they hosted local courts before dedicated courtrooms existed, and they were common venues for sales, auctions, and all sorts of village business. In a world with few other communal buildings, the pub was where life happened.

And finally, in case people didn’t fancy any of the three pubs, thanks to the 1830 Beerhouse Act mentioned earlier, we had people like Jane Farr.

She’s mentioned in the Fawsley Hundred listing as a “beer-retailer” and talked about fondly in the Tom Pearcey account: “I was just a passer by who fancied the fare of Jane whose beer until this day does rest upon my lips.” Her beer clearly left a strong impression!

The vicar’s due: Tithes in 17th‑century Welton

For many centuries, parishioners had to pay a mandatory tithe, which was a religious tax requiring them to give a percentage (often one tenth) of their yearly income or produce to the church. This payment supported the local parish priest and the upkeep of the church building. 

Northamptonshire records library holds the original documents that lay out the tithes that were due to the vicar in Welton in 1623. As you can see opposite, they were beautifully handwritten.

A group of local men were appointed to come to an agreement between the vicar, Richard Patrick, and parishioners about the level of tithes. Their decision set out, in detail, what the vicar was entitled to receive and how parishioners should pay it. Both sides agreed to these rules.

It makes for fascinating reading. Below is a summary of what every parishioner would have to give. It seems taxation worries have been with us for a very long time!

Calves and Cows

If a farmer had ten calves in a year, the vicar received one calf as his tithe.

If fewer than ten calves were born, the vicar received no calf, but small payments were due if calves were killed for household use or sold.

New milking cows required a small payment to the vicar, depending on how long they were kept and whether they were sold.

Sheep and Wool

Sheep kept from New Year’s Day until shearing owed tithe wool.

Selling sheep before 1 June required a half‑penny per sheep instead.

Complex rules covered situations where sheep were sold and then bought again before shearing, ensuring the vicar still received his fair share.

Lambs

All lambs born in the parish were titheable.

On Holy Rood Day, the owner chose two lambs, and the vicar took one‑fifth of the remainder.

If lambs had to be sold early, the vicar chose and marked his tithe lambs, which the owner kept for him until Holy Rood Day.

Other Livestock

Pigs were tithed in the same way as lambs.

Pigeons were tithed “as they fall” — meaning whenever they were produced.

If fewer than nine lambs were born, no lamb was due, but a small payment was made instead.

Honey, Wax, and Bees

The vicar received one‑tenth of the money from honey, wax, and similar goods.

If a hive was used entirely in the household and nothing sold, only a half‑penny per hive was due.

Fruit and Hemp

The vicar received tithes of all fruit grown in the parish — apples, pears, plums, cherries, and more.

Hemp grown in the village was also titheable, but in return the vicar had to provide bell‑ropes for the church.

Household Payments

Every householder paid four pence per year:

  • Two pence at Easter
  • Two pence at Martinmas

Every servant and every communicant son or daughter paid one penny at Easter.

Eggs and Goslings

On Good Friday, parishioners paid tithe eggs:

  • Two eggs per hen or duck
  • Three eggs per cock or drake

Goslings were tithed in the same way as lambs.

Mortuaries and Burials

Mortuaries were paid according to national law.

Burials inside the church cost three shillings and four pence, paid to the vicar.

Agreement

Both the vicar and the parishioners agreed that these customs were correct, and the arbitrators signed to confirm the settlement.

If you would like to see a transcription of the original pages you can click on the box below.

The Award, Judgement & final Determination of Richard Marriott, George Beadles, William Willis, & Richard Rogers indifferently chosen as well of Richard Patrick Vicar of the Parish Church of Welton in the County of Northampton, as John Newport Esq …

Read more…

….. William Tims Esq., Edward Adams, William Adams, Thomas Clarke, Richard Hickman, William Gough, & other the Inhabitants within the Town of Welton aforesaid do award & determin of & upon all Suits & Controversies moved between yᵉ Parties, & for & concerning yᵉ right manner of Tythings & Offerings in Welton for the time to come, made the second Day of April 1623, hereafter in these Presents particularly expressed.

First We award that all the said Suits & Controversies shall cease & determine, and be no further proceeded in.

Item we award, judge, & determine Every Parishioner of Welton aforesaid having in any one Year ten Calves in the Parish of Welton the Vicar ought to have one of them in kind for Tythe due to him at one Month’s end; but if he have not full ten Calves, the Vicar ought not nor hath not accustomed to have any tythe Calf in kind; provided always that the selling of one or two so near calving, or in good part wintered shall not hinder his tythe Calf in kind.

Item if any Parishioner in Welton hath heretofore sold, or shall…

If any Calf before the Day of St Martin the Bishop in Winter being alway the eleventh of November then the Vicar hath used & ought to have the tenth part of the Money for which ye sd Calf hath been or shall be sold. But if in Case any Parishioner have killed or shall kill for his own Use and Family any Calf, then the Vicar hath accustomed & shall have only one half penny for every Calf so killed & spent. Yet nevertheless if the Parishioner have sold or shall sell any part of ye Flesh of ye sd Calf to any Person whatsoever then the Vicar hath accustomed & ought to have ye tenth part of ye Worth of ye said Calf so killed, part thereof being sold.

Item If any Parishioner hath reard reard or bred, or shall breed any Calf or Calves sale within ye aforesd Parish of Weston, then ye sd Parishioner hath also used & ought to pay to the sd Vicar for every Calf so reard reard or bred one half penny only, half ye same Calf or Calves so reard or bred be sold before the Feast of St Martin next immediately after ye rearing thereof, then the same Parishioner hath accustomed & ought to pay to the Vicar ye tenth part of ye Money yt the Calf so reard reard or bred shall be sold for.

Item Every Parishioner hath accustomed & ought to pay to ye Vicar for every new milch Cow giving Milk ten Days after ye Calf is taken off only two Pence. If any new Milch Cow remain but only ten Days in ye Custody of any Parishioner giving Milk as aforesd & afterward sold, then for yt Cow is due to…

…the Vicar only two Pence. And if any, or ye same new Milk Cow be sold to one, two, or three Inhabitants, or more of ye Parish of Wilton, & remain ye space of ten Days or upwards in his, her, or their several Custodies giving Milk as aforesd. then every one of ye sd. Parties severally hath accustomed bought to pay to ye Vicar two Pence apiece for the Milk of that one & the same Cow: for every old Milk Cow and Parishioner one only one Penny is due to ye Vicar, payable in that manner before expressed for another Milk Cow. The Money due for Beasts, Calves & Milk is to be paid at Martlemas.

Item Every Parishioner having Sheep within the Parish on New Years Day, since fraud, and keeps them till they be shorn, the Vicar hath accustomed bought to have Tyth Wool in hand of the same: but if he hath sold or shall sell any of the said sheep to one fide, before ye first Day of June then ye Parishioner hath used to pay bought to pay for every Sheep so sold one Half penny. If ye same Parishioner that sell buy Sheep again before Shear time, if the Number bought do exceed the Number sold, then the Parishioner is to pay Wool in kind for so many Sheep as he sold, for the Overplus only one Half penny a piece: but if ye Number bought be less than ye Number sold then to pay Wool in kind for as many as he bought, & for ye Residue sold one Half penny a piece: Provided alway if any Sheep sold do break a Tyth, then ye Parishioner hath used to pay and ought to pay a Tyth Fleece for ye Tyth so broken, provided likewise there be no Fraud in selling or buying, in having, or not having Sheep at…

New Years-tide.

Item If any Parishner hath sold or shall sell any Sheep upon or after yᵉ first Day of June, & before Shear time, then yᵉ Parishner shall pay for as many Sheep as be sold Wool in kind out of those yᵗ remain, or Money, according as the Fifthe of yᵉ Sheep sold shall be thought worth.

Item All Lambs falling within yᵉ Parish are tytheable to yᵉ Vicar. The manner of them is as follows. If any Parishner on Holy rood Day have ten Lambs, the Owner is to choose two, & the Vicar to take his Fifthe out of the rest, and after this Order, what Number soever any Man hath, if any Man hath between ten & seven, the Owner is to take his two choice Lambs, and then the Vicar one for his Fifthe, paying to yᵉ Owner so many half pence as there want of yᵉ Number of ten. If any Parishner shall be constrained upon any Occasion to sell his Ewes & Lambs before Holy rood day, then yᵉ said Parishner hath always, ought to make known his Intent to the Vicar, that yᵉ said Vicar may choose & mark his Lamb, or Lambs out of those wᶜʰ the Owner doth purpose to sell, which Lambs by him chosen and marked, the same are to be kept by the said Owner for yᵉ said Vicar until Holy rood Day then next following, together wᵗʰ such Ewes as shall be yᵉ Dam or Dams of yᵉ said Fifthe Lambs without fraud or Guile.

Owner hath under 9 Number of young Lambs, by reason whereof the Vicar hath no Tithe Lamb paid, then ye Owner of those Lambs is to pay to ye Vicar one half penny a piece for said. Halfpenny is to be paid on Holy rood Day.

Item, If any Parishiner hath or shall bring in Sheep into ye Parrish after New years tide, then there hath been accustomed ought to be paid to ye Vicar one half penny a piece for every sheep so brought in. The Half penny is to be paid at Easter time following without Guile.

Item, If any Parishiner hath the Number of ten Sheep to die or to be kill’d after New years Day, & before Easter time, then the Vicar hath accustomed to have the tenth Parcel of ye said Sheep so dying or being kill’d. If under ye number of ten or seven, then Halfpence a piece.

Item The Vicar hath always had & ought to have ye tenth part of ye Money that all sweet Ware as Honey, Wax &c is sold for, but if in case any Hive of Bees be taken up & spent in the Owners own House, & none of it be sold, then only one Halfpenny is due to the Vicar for every Hive so taken up & wholly spent.

Item If the Pigs are to be kept a whole Month for the Vicar to be received by him at all times as they fall, after the order of Lambs.

The manner of tything of Wool is after this manner, to be paid at the shears. First ye Owner takes two Fleeces out of ye ten laid out, then ye Vicar is to lift ye Cable, beginning at wch ten he pleaseth, and one of those two Fleeces he lifts he is to take for his Tythe. The like manner of tything is to be used for all Tythe Lambs, & tythe Pigs yt fall within ye Parish of Melton aforesaid.

Tythe Pidgeons are due to the Vicar as they fall.

Item there is due to the Vicar Tythe of all Fruits, as Apples, Pears, Plumbs, Cherries &c. The Tythe of Hemp growing within ye Town is due to ye Vicar, provided always the said Vicar must find sufficient Bell-ropes for ye Bells as oft as Need requireth.

Item The Vicar is to have a Garden Penny & Backside Penny paid at Easter. Every Householder is to pay four Pence the Year, two Pence at Easter & two Pence at Martlemas. Every Servant also & communicant Son or Daughter is at Easter, when they receive to pay to ye Vicar a Penny apiece.

Item The Vicar is to have Tythe Eggs to be paid on Good Friday; for every Hen & Duck, two Eggs apiece, for every Cock & Drake three Eggs apiece.

Item Tythe Goslings are due to ye Vicar, to be chosen…

…before as of Lambs, if any be sold, & to be kept by the Owner of them for yᵉ said Vicar until Lammas.

Item Mortuaries according to the Statute, & three Shillings & four Pence for burying in the Church are due to the Vicar.

These Customs being shown to the Vicar, & Parishioners, as well the said Vicar, as yᵉ said Parishioners did mutually consent and acknowledge to be true. In Witness whereof the Arbitrators have hereunto set their Hands. &c

Exploring the Bridges’ Directory of Welton, 1791


Bridges’ Directory for the Fawsley Hundred, an ancient administrative division of the county of which Welton was a part, is a comprehensive survey originally compiled by the 18th-century historian John Bridges.

John Bridges (1666—1724) was a country gentleman and London lawyer. He split his time between his estate at Barton Seagrave and his chambers in London, holding a succession of lucrative government posts

He began collecting material in 1719 with a personal visit to every parish in the county.  He also hired researchers and artists to record legal, historical, and parochial details. By the time of his death he had amassed some 30 folio volumes (plus many other loose pieces and smaller volumes) of material.*

However, nothing had been written.  In his will, Bridges directed that his historical books and records be kept separate from the rest of his library as a family heirloom (the rest of his collection was sold). His brother William then attempted to get the work printed. *

A publisher was found, a writer, Dr. Samuel Jebb, was retained, and the project moved forward.  It was decided to publish the work as a series of fascicles and subscriptions were sought (at 4 guineas).  The first numbers duly appeared after a few years, but then the publisher went bankrupt and the project stopped. Many of the engraved plates were scattered.*

Then in 1755 a number of the gentleman of the county formed a committee under the leadership of Sit Thomas Cave to see the project through.  They bought up the materials, paid off Jebb, and recruited Peter Whalley to compile the volume. Gradually, the elderly gentlemen of the committee died off and the project sputtered to a halt near the finish line, with much of the work languishing with the Oxford University Press for seven years.  Eventually, a new committee took over and the book finally appeared in 1791 (over 65 years after Bridges died) in two volumes totaling near 1400 pages.*

Most of Bridges’ materials ended up at the Bodleian.*

The result is highly detailed historical database of the region which, whilst published in 1791, was written much earlier.

This is Welton’s entry and it gives a fascinating history of the village from the time of the Domesday Book.

We’ll admit it’s a bit of a long haul – but even if you don’t read to the end, you get a real sense of the history in Welton and just how old the village really is.

Note: The full history text below uses the modern letter s in place of the long ſ for ease of reading.

The original material has been broken into paragraphs to improve readability.

The genealogical table in the source has not been transcribed, as it contains inaccuracies and so is omitted here. The paragraphs struck through are known to be inaccurate.

Lists of clergy and incumbents in source have not been transcribed in this version.

Welton Overview

Location: West of Long Buckby, south of Watford, east of Braunston, north of Daventry.

Landscape: Long village rising up a hill, stone causeway through centre. 84 houses.

Features: Middle‑well grotto, fish‑pond, four hills, six named springs.

Manorial Descent: Mallore → Peyton → Catesby → Owen → Newport → Adams.

Church: St Martin’s, medieval origins, bells dated 1629.

Read the full historical description of Welton

Welton on the east hath Long Buckby, Watford on the north, Braunston west, and Daventre on the south. The town is long and situated on a great ascent. It rises with the hill from Daventre, and has a stone causeway running quite through it.

There are in it eighty‑four houses, including six called the Town‑houses, which are set apart as dwellings for the poor.

The greatest extent of the lordship is computed to be two large miles. Daventre‑brook, which takes its rise from springs in the common fields of Drayton and of this parish, divides it from Daventre, and bounds it to the south and east, whence it passes to Whilton‑mill, and there joins the Nyne. Another rivulet, called Smith‑meadow‑brook, divides it in part from Watford, and passing on to Long Buckby falls into this brook in the common field.

There are four hills here, and six springs distinguished by name; of which Middle‑well spring is the most remarkable. It falls into a kind of grotto enclosed with pales, which is judged to be curious. Over it are built two large rooms, and the water passing through the walls supplyeth a fish‑pond.

It belongs to Mr. Richard Clarke of this town. Mr. Adams, the present Lord of the Manor, has one seat in the parish, and Mr. Ashley of Legers‑Ashby another, but of less note than the former. The Watling Street touches twice upon this lordship; first on the side towards Norton, where it enters into the common field, and crossing it passes a little way through Murcote, and then dividing Welton from Watford in part bounds it to the north.

At Domesday survey Leuric held half a hide, and one virgate wanting the fifth part of half a hide in Welton and Thorp of the Countess Judith the Conqueror’s niece. The arable land was one carucate. In demesne was half a carucate, with two cottagers; and the whole was valued at 8s. This Leuric was in possession of it in the reign of King Edward. By the same survey Osborn held in Welton three hides wanting one virgate of Hugh de Grentemaisnil. The arable land was seven carucates. In demesne were two, and three servants with five villanes had four carucates. There was a mill of the yearly rent of 12d. and eight acres of meadow. The whole was valued at 40s. In King Edward’s time it was rated at 20s. and was the freehold of Baldwin.

In King Henry II’s time William de Welton held here two hides and a half, and two small virgates of the fee of Leicester. Hugh, called Vicecomes, had five small virgates and a half of the fee of Berkhamsted, which were held of him by the monks of Daventre. And Richard Mallore had two small virgates; but by what tenure he held them is not mentioned.

This William de Welton was descended from Allelm the son of Rory, who came into England with the Conqueror, and whose posterity enjoyed the lordship of Welton for many generations.

In the eighteenth year of Edward I, Philip de Montgomery levied a fine of this manor. He died in the twenty‑third year of this reign, jointly seized of it with Felicia his wife, and left it to Anne, his sole daughter by Felicia, who at the time of his decease was a minor of three years.

In the ninth year of Edward II, John Mallore was Lord of Welton, in whose male line this lordship continued for some time, and then descended to Margaret, wife of Thomas Peyton, Esq. of Iselham in Cambridgeshire, the sole daughter and heir of Elen, daughter and heir of John Mallore by Jane his wife.

From this gentleman it descended to Thomas Peyton his grandson, of whom it was purchased in the second year of Richard III by William Catesby of Leghers Abbey, Esq., who levied a fine of it in the same year, and from whom it was named Catesby’s Manor.

Upon the attainder of William Catesby, it was granted to William Owen, Esq., in the fourth year of Henry VII. Of whose son Sir David Owen, in the ninth year of the same reign, William Stafferton held three messuages and one hundred acres of arable land in Welton by an unknown service.

From the family of Owen it passed into the hands of John Newport, Esq. In the fifth year of Queen Elizabeth, William Warde of Yelvertoft held certain lands and tenements in Welton as of his manor of Welton.

This gentleman was the son of John Newport of Pelham in Hertfordshire, by Joan the daughter of Sir Thomas Mountford of Kingshurst in Warwickshire. He married Catherine the daughter of Anthony Jenkinson of Swell, Esq; by whom he had issue four sons and nine daughters. In the seventeenth year of this reign, he levied a fine of this Manor, and was succeeded in it by John his eldest son.

The present Lord of the Manor is William Adams, Esq; whose ancestors have enjoyed it for several generations. The first mention that occurs of this family is in the eighteenth year of King James I. at which time died William England, Gent. seized of large possessions in Welton, which were divided after his decease amongst his sisters and coheirs, Joyce the wife of Thomas Harris, Agnes the wife of Edward Adams, and Elizabeth the wife of Robert Smith.

These possessions were then held of John Newport, Esq; as of his Manor of Welton. Edward Adams had issue by Agnes his wife five sons and two daughters: William, his second son, married Anne the daughter of John Newport, Esq; and by this marriage it should seem the Manor was transferred into that family.

Gentlemen who possess estates in this lordship besides Mr. Adams, are Mr. William Clarke, Mr. Ashley of George’s Ashby, Mr. Richard Clarke of Drayton, and Mr. Barker of Daventre.

The lands which were given to the monks of Daventre were first granted upon the dissolution of that convent to Cardinal Wolsey, and upon his fall to King Henry VIII’s new foundation in Oxford. These were sold in the sixth year of Queen Mary to Gregory Isham, Esq; under the name of King Henry VIII’s College Manor.

Part of the town owes suit and service to Mr. Breton’s court at Norton.

The church, dedicated to St. Martin, consists of a body, two aisles, and a chancel leaded, with a porch on the south side tiled. The steeple is a plain coped tower, in which are four bells, all bearing date in 1629. The church is forty‑eight foot nine inches long, and thirty‑nine foot seven inches broad. The chancel is in length thirty‑one foot one inch, and fifteen foot nine inches in breadth. The whole length of church and chancel is seventy‑nine foot ten inches. The register begins in 1578.

This church was originally a chapel to the church of Daventre, and given by William de Novo‑Mercato, Lord of Welton. At the time of the general taxation by the bishop of Norwich in the year 1254, it does not appear to have been endowed; but in 1291, 19 Edw. I. the vicarage was rated at five marks, the usual stipend in that age to a capellane or curate. In 1535, 26 Hen. VIII. the vicarage was valued at virl.

The rectory which had been given to Cardinal Wolsey towards the erection of his new colleges at Ipswich and Oxford, and upon his fall was resumed by the crown, was then in the hands of the master and fellows of St. Frideswide’s College in Oxford, and let for 14 l. per annum.

The tithes, called Ayre’s tithes, which formerly belonged to the convent of Daventre, were purchased of the crown by John Marshe in the sixteenth year of Queen Elizabeth. This vicarage stands discharged from the payment of first fruits and tenths, as amounting in the clear yearly value to no more than 23 l. 2 s. 8 d. It is in the deanery of Daventre.

  • All asterisked paragraphs: Reference material: Nichols, John. Literary Anecdotes of the Eighteenth Century, vol ii, 1812.

In search of a Russian prince


Sometimes our history project hands us a puzzle that we have to unpick bit by bit. That’s what happened early on in the Welton Community History Project, when two intriguing photographs surfaced — both taken in the grounds of Welton Manor in the 1920s, confirmed by the current owner who recognises his garden!

In the first photo, taken around 1923/24, a young boy lies on the grass. In the second, taken a couple of years later, the same boy stands centre right in a cloak and crown. The story passed down with the images was extraordinary: this child was said to be Peter Romanov, a boy who had supposedly witnessed his parents’ execution during the Russian Revolution, and who had stayed at Welton Manor.

The source of this tale was Eric Fleming — yes, the Eric Fleming of the wonderful Welton paintings fame — who appears as the small boy on the far left of the first photograph. His daughter Noreen relayed the story of the Russian child’s background, passed down from him.

That was all we had. No explanation as to why a Russian aristocratic boy might be living in rural Northamptonshire. No proof he was a Romanov. Just two photographs and a rumour. So we started digging……. could we find a Russian prince?


Our first breakthrough came when we were shown documents relating to Welton Manor. The deeds revealed that between 1923 and 1927 the house was owned by Dame Sybil Edith Mary Romilly Nicholson — a name that caught our attention.

Sybil, born in 1880, was married to Admiral Sir Douglas Romilly Lothian Nicholson. She was extremely wealthy and owned Welton Manor in her own right. Her background turned out to be crucial. As a child she lived at Bude Castle in Cornwall, owned by her uncle Charles Morgan Cowie. She later took over the castle’s lease in 1930.

And here’s where things get interesting: the family were known supporters of White Russian émigrés fleeing the revolution. Bude Castle’s records mention visits from Russian princes and members of the Tolstoy family.

Suddenly, the idea of a Russian child at Welton didn’t seem so far‑fetched.


With Sybil’s roots in Cornwall and her social life centred around London’s upper circles, Welton might seem an odd choice as a place to buy a manor house. But her maiden name — Romilly — provides a clue.

Sybil was related by marriage to both Clementine Churchill and Lord Wimborne (Ivor Churchill Guest), Winston Churchill’s cousin and political ally. 

Lord Wimborne owned Ashby St Ledgers Manor and was so closely associated with the village that he became Baron Ashby St Ledgers in 1910. It was he who commissioned Edwin Lutyens to work on Ashby Manor.

It’s feasible that Sybil knew the area through him. During her ownership of Welton Manor, her husband was serving as a Vice‑Admiral and was likely away from home for long periods. We have evidence that he did spend some time here, the cutting below suggesting they were valued parishioners. But given the demands on her husband’s time, it makes sense that they may have chosen a home near to family.

Rugby Advertiser 1924

Perhaps Lord Wimborne recommended Welton as a peaceful retreat — or maybe Sybil simply fell in love with it while visiting her relatives.


Although the Nicholsons had no children of their own, we discovered through Ancestry, and confirmed by the Tolstoy family, that Sybil had adopted Maria “Maroussia” Pavlovna Tolstaya‑Miloslavsky, (remember the reference to the Tolstoys in Bude Castle’s records). Maria’s father had been Chamberlain to Tsar Nicholas II, and she had arrived in England in 1905. The Nicholsons became friends with Maria in London during WWI, according to information from the family.

Maria appears alongside Sybil in the 1921 census; Lady and Admiral Nicholson, Maria and the Nicholson’s chauffeur, Arthur Woodley, were staying at the Balmer Lawn Hotel near Brockenhurst in Hampshire at that time. This was a highly sought after, privately owned country house hotel, frequented by King George V and Winston Churchill. It still exists today.

Maria travelled and lived with Lady Nicholson for most of her life, never marrying. We can probably conclude that she was with Sybil in Welton, although we don’t yet have definitive evidence. However, we have been told by the Tolstoy family that Maria brought ‘pageantry and ballet’ to the children living at Bude castle – that feels like a fairly accurate description of the photos taken at Welton Manor. Was it her hand at work?

Their companionship continued after the Admiral’s death. The pair lived together in Kensington until Sybil died, according to electoral registers. This 1944 clipping from Good Morning, a Cornish publication, refers to Lady Nicholson and her companion Countess Tolstoy.


So we have Lady Nicholson, her Welton connection, and her links to Russian aristocracy. We also know of her close and long term relationship with a Tolstoy.  But who was the mysterious boy?

We were sure that a Russian child stayed at Welton Manor — Lady Nicholson’s classified advert in the 1920s, taken in combination with the photos and local knowledge, would seem to suggest it.

Searches of Russian émigrés in Britain at the time reveal no mention of a “Peter Romanov”. But after going down a few rabbit holes, we managed to make contact with the archivist at Bude Castle who casually dropped a huge clue, revealing that Count Dmitri Tolstoy – Maria’s nephew – had lived with the Nicholsons between 1920 and 1926. We know, of course, that for three of those years the Nicholsons were in Welton. 

We subsequently contacted Dmitri’s grand-daughter, Alexandra and she confirmed that it was known in the family that her grandfather had lived with the Nicholsons at Bude, although she had no knowledge of Welton.

Dmitri’s early life was marked by danger and displacement, fleeing with his English nanny Lucy Stark who realised he would be murdered if they didn’t leave Russia. Dmitri’s father had been missing for two years and his mother had died in 1916. Lucy convinced an English chaplain in Moscow to write a false birth certificate, rendering Dmitri her illegitimate son.

They boarded a train to Finland and Lucy warned her charge that when interrogated, it was vital he did not reveal his true name. Despite being only seven, Dmitri played his part and they miraculously got past the border guards and into Finland, from where they took a ship, The Dongola, to England.

Do you see a likeness? Our boy on the left and Dmitri on the right

The evidence supporting Dmitri

  • Family connection: Maria Tolstoy was Dmitri’s aunt, a long‑term companion of the Nicholson household, likely living with them in Welton
  • Bude Castle records: The castle’s website notes visits from members of the Tolstoy family
  • Archivist confirmation: The Bude Castle archivist states that records exist showing the Nicholsons cared for Dmitri between 1920 and 1926
  • Photographic similarities: Visual comparison shows several consistent facial features between the child and the adult
  • Family testimony: Dmitri’s granddaughter confirms that the Nicholsons had charge of her grandfather

We’re still piecing some parts of the story together, but for now, the evidence points us pretty confidently towards the idea that Welton once hosted not a young Russian prince as originally thought – but a descendant of the man who wrote War and Peace.

Are you convinced? Or are our arguments, like Bude Castle itself, built on shifting sands?   Comment below if you can add anything to this story or to give your thoughts.


A snapshot of Welton in 1849


A hundred in Anglo‑Saxon England was an important administrative and judicial subdivision within a shire. Traditionally thought to contain 100 hides of land or roughly 100 households, it served as the core unit of local governance, overseeing tax collection, military levies, and the resolution of local disputes.

During the 19th century, hundreds were gradually dismantled through successive legal and administrative reforms. Their decline began after 1834, and they were effectively rendered obsolete by the Local Government Act 1894, which replaced them with modern rural and urban district councils.

Welton sat in the Fawsley Hundred and below is a transcription of the Welton entry in the 1849 summary which gives us some fascinating information about the village at that time, as well as some earlier history.


WELTON PARISH

Is bounded by Long Buckby on the east; on the north by Watford, from which it is divided by the Watling-street way; by Braunston on the west; and Daventry on the south, from which it is divided by the Grand Junction Canal. It contains 1,690 acres, and its population, in 1801, was 485; in 1831, 600; and in 1841, 635 souls. 

The rateable value of the parish is £3,451, and the amount of assessed property is £2,935.

The soil is principally a strong loam, and the chief owners are Richard Trevor Clarke, Esq. of Welton Place (lord of the manor), and Beriah Botfield, Esq. of Norton Hall. The lordship is well supplied with springs, and there is some good limestone, and excellent brick and tile clay. The Grand Junction Canal is continued on to Braunston by a tunnel 1½ miles long, where it joins the Oxford one.

Manor: Osbern held 3 hides, wanting 1 virgate, of land, in Welintone, of Hugh de Grentemaisnil, at the time of the Domesday survey. There was a mill of the yearly rent of 12d, and 8acres of meadow, and the whole, which in the Confessor’s time had been the freehold of Baldwin and valued at 20s, was now rated at 40s.  

Leuric, the Saxon proprietor, held half a hide and one virgate in Welton and Thorpe of the Countess Judith at the same time. This was valued at 8s. 

In the reign of Henry II. William de Novo Foro held 2½ hides and 2 small virgates here of the fee of Leicester; Hugh de Leycester had 5½ small virgates of the fee of Birkhampstead, which were held by the monks of Daventry, and Richard Mallore had 2 small virgates. The descendants of this William de Novo Foro are not known. 

In the 18th year of the reign of Edward I (1290), Philip de Montgomery levied a fine of this manor; and in the 9th of Edward II. (1316), John Mallore was lord of Welton. In the male line of this family it continued for some time, and then descended to Margaret, daughter of John Mallore, and wife of Thomas Peyton, Esq. From this gentleman’s grandson and successor it was purchased, in the 2nd of Richard III. (1485), by William Catesby, Esq., of Ashby St. Ledgers, who levied a fine of it in the same year, and from whom it was named Catesby’s Manor

The manor in Welton belonging to the Daventry priory, was valued, in 1526, at £7. 10s. 2d. per annum, and passed with the other possessions of that house, to Cardinal Wolsey’s College, Oxford. Leicester abbey had the annual rent of a water-mill, at Welton, (43s.), at its dissolution, which was sold by the Crown to John Franke.

Sir William Catesby, for he was afterwards knighted, was beheaded at Leicester after the battle of Bosworth-field, and being attainted of high-treason, in 1485, his manors of Welton, with several others, were granted, in 1489, to Sir David Owen, in tail male. From him this manor descended to his grandson, Henry Owen, Esq, who sold it, in the 14th of Elizabeth (1572), to Sir Richard Knightley, of Fawsley, who afterwards alienated it to the family of Newport, of Welton. John Newport, Gent., sold it in 1647, together with the impropriate rectory, to William Adams, Esq, of Charwelton. 

In this family it continued till 1804, when Samuel Miller Adams, Gentleman, alienated it to John Clarke, Esq, son of John Plomer, Esq, who by Act of Parliament, in 1775, adopted the name and arms of Clarke, on succeeding to the estates of that family under the will of his maternal great uncle Richard Clarke, Esq. John Clarke, Esq. was succeeded at his death, in 1805, by John Plomer Clarke, Esq, from whom the manor descended to the present Lord Richard Trevor Clarke, Esq.


The Village of Welton, which is very respectable, is situated on a steep declivity about 2 miles N.E. of Daventry, and 12 N.W. from Northampton.

The Church, dedicated to St. Martin, stands on rising ground, near the centre of the village, and consists of a nave and side aisles, south porch, and chancel, with a pinnacled tower containing five bells. The whole building, except the tower, is in the Perpendicular style of the 15th century. The living is a discharged vicarage in the deanery of Daventry, rated in the king’s books at £7, but its net value at present is about £193. The patronage is vested in the Lord Chancellor; and the Rev. Daniel Darnell, M.A., is the present incumbent. The impropriate rectory consists of 196a. 0r. 1p.; the vicarage of 60a. 1r. 5p., granted by the commissioners, in lieu of vicarial tithes; and 3a. 3r. 14p., in lieu of an annual payment of £3. 16s. 8d. out of certain lands. 

In ecclesiastical matters Welton was originally a parochial chapelry to Daventry.

There is also a small Baptist Chapel in the village.

The National School was built by the late Mr. Clarke and is supported by voluntary subscription. 

The Charity Land, consisting of 58 acres, a small close, and a garden, lets for about £130 per annum; and the rents are applied to the relief of the poor, repairs of the church, causeways, bridges, &c.

Welton Place, the seat of R. T. Clarke, Esq is a handsome mansion situate near the church, on the southern side of a bold abrupt hill, on a terrace commanding a prospect of the town of Daventry and the adjacent country. The hill rising behind the house is ornamented with forest trees and shrubs, and near its base is Mickle Well in a curious ancient, vaulted cave, which is so called, perhaps, from its never-failing abundance. It feeds several fish-ponds &c, within the grounds.

Churchill House, formerly the Manor-house, stands at the entrance of the village, and is the seat of Edmund Singer Burton, Esq.

Antiquities: Mr. Baker tells us, that in the year 1778, in a close called Stone-pit Field, belonging to John Clarke, Esq a “rudely formed sepulchre,” probably a cist, was discovered about two feet below the surface, within which were deposited two skeletons of small stature, having two brass fibulæ, and a number of beads lying near the throat and wrists. Between the skeletons was an urn, and a spear now mouldered to fragments, with four or five small Roman coins, one of which appeared to be of Constantine the Great, and another of Flavia Fausta, his empress. 

The urn, which is in the possession of R. T. Clarke, Esq, is of a dark colour, nearly black, and the beads are of amber, glass, and jet, varying in size, shape, and colour. A small Roman coin of Barbia Orbiana, last wife of the Emperor Alexander Severus, was dug up in the church-yard some years since.


Atkins Mr. John
Batchelor Alexander, tailor
Benjamin Joseph, victualler, Red Lion, and builder +
Boys Elizabeth, dressmaker
Boys John, victualler Wheatsheaf
Burton Edmund Singer, Esq., Churchill House +
Clarke Rev. Charles, curate of Norton
Clarke Richard Trevor, Esq, Welton Place +
Darby Thomas, carpenter, &c.
Darnell, Rev. Daniel, vicar +
Downing William, tailor
Elliott John, gardener

Farr Jane, beer-retailer +
Farr John, baker, &c.,
Field John, corn-miller
Harris Harry, victualler, White Horse
Harrison Thomas, blacksmith +
Hill, Captain Stephen John, Welton Cottage [later known as The Firs] +
Jackson Henry, butcher
Robinson Rev. Richard. (Baptist)
Reeve Harriet, dressmaker
Reeve Thomas, butcher
Roberts S., National Schoolmaster.
Smith John, tea-dealer
Smith Thomas, shoemaker
Smith Wm., parish-clerk
Wilbee F., agent. at Welton wharf.

Farmers & Graziers.
Marked thus * are yeomen.

Howard Samuel. (& brick-manufacturer & coal-merchant.)
Jones William
*Lee Thomas
Pearcey Thomas
Robbins Samuel
Robinson John
Sabin Thomas
Townsend-William
*Winterton J., Welton Grange
Winterton Ralph
Wokley William

Letters are received through the Daventry office.

Carrier to Daventry – John Field, Wednesday and Saturday

Bold entries marked +indicates people for whom Welton History Group has developed a more detailed profile

A spotlight on: The Stone House


The Stone House, positioned right at the top of the hill, is one of the village’s oldest buildings, standing for at least 400 years in its current form, and probably with a medieval building on the site prior to that. Known variously as The Cottage, Welton Cottage, Hill Crest House and Chetwynd Cottage, it has been part of the church’s estate and operated as a boarding school during its history

Circa 1958 versus 2026

Below is a brief timeline but if you are interested in learning more detail, about the people who have lived here and the lives they led, you can find it here.

Interested in photos of The Stone House? Go to the photo album here where you’ll find photographs and press cuttings.


The Stone House, Welton — Timeline

1600s

House traced to the early 1600s as a tenanted farm; L‑shaped wing used as a 3‑bay hovel for livestock.

Mid–Late 1800s

Rev. Daniel Darnell lives here; L‑wing used as a boys’ boarding school. Part of the church estate and sometimes referred to as the vicarage.

1897

After Darnell’s death, the church advertises the house to let as a “gentleman’s cottage.”

1901

Resident: Leonora Howard‑Vyse, widow of Major Granville Howard‑Vyse, with household staff.

1911

Resident: Mrs Maud S. Hunter, with her servant Francis Bullas.

1917

Advertised to let as “Welton Cottage”; contact given as Mrs Liddell, a former vicar’s wife.

Early 1930s

Occupied by Captain Frederick and Isabelle Van Den Arend, a Rugby cigar businessman and his wife.

1933

House offered for public auction as “Welton Cottage.”

1937

Sold under instructions of Mr E. B. Law; description mentions two cottages, confirming the Stone House estate.

1938–1947

Resident: Ernest Martin, former RAF officer and military collector. House known as “Hillcrest House.”

1947

Hillcrest House advertised for sale; estate includes St Martin’s Cottage and Virginia Cottage.

Early 1950s

Owned by Bertram Howell Bishop, a caterer later imprisoned in 1953.

1950s

Resident: Vicar James Edwin Wright, as referenced in the house deeds.

1958–1962

Owned by Cyril Douglas and Mrs C. Abbott. Auctioned in 1962 as “Chetwynd Cottage,” together with St Martin’s Cottage.

1963–1990s

Purchased by Edwin and Jean (Dore) Cox. Later owned by their son Tony Cox. Fox Ridge built on vegetable patch (allegedly without planning consent) for Jean and on her death sold in 1993

1996

Sold to Dr Chris and Mrs Meryl Lovatt. St Martin’s Cottage separated into independent dwelling.

2016–Present

Purchased by the current owners.

The last thousand years or so in Welton

Written by Jackie Hibbert


The first documentary evidence about Welton is in the Domesday Book, but the village obviously existed well before 1086.  Roman coins and artefacts found in and around the village suggest that there was a Roman presence here and there may well have been Ancient Britons farming in the area before that, given that the village is only a stone’s throw from a number of Iron Age Hill Forts, including one at Daventry.

Entry in Domesday Book showing 10 households

The name “Welton” probably comes from the Old English “welle” meaning Spring and the Anglo-Saxon “ton” meaning settlement.  There are several springs in the parish which would have made it an attractive site for a settlement.  Nucleated settlements with shared fields started to replace isolated farms during the eighth and ninth centuries, so Welton probably became established as a village at that time.  There was a Chapel belonging to the Church in Daventry on the site of St. Martin’s Church; in fact, the Anglo-Saxon font is still in the present building.  As a chapel rather than a church, burials could not take place in the churchyard.  Instead, villagers had to pay a “heriot” to the Church in Daventry for a burial there. 


The Norman Invasion

After the Norman invasion in 1066, things would have remained quiet for a few years, but then at some point, probably during the 1070s, Osbern de Neufmarche and his soldiers arrived and “violently seized” the Chapel. 

This was most likely in response to the widespread rebellion taking place in the country, in support of Edgar the Ætheling’s claim to the throne.  

We can imagine the local rebels barricaded inside the chapel for protection, but unfortunately history does not tell us much about how it all ended.  Osbern was given land in Welton and had his main residence here.  This was probably initially at the top of the hill, where the recreation ground is now situated.  It would have been a fortified manor house, possibly a little like a castle.  The Chapel was not returned to the Church in Daventry until the 1130s, when Osbern’s son William came to an agreement with the Priory in Daventry.

Osbern’s grand-daughter, Agnes, received Welton as a dowry when she married Richard Mallory of Kirby Mallory in Leicestershire.  The family split their time between Kirby Mallory and Welton and their descendants continued to have a house in Welton until the early 1400s.  At some point, probably in the 1200s, the house moved its position from the top of the hill to the bottom of the hill, when it became fashionable for the wealthy to have a moated manor house a little way away from the dwellings of the common people.  This manor house fell into ruins in the fifteenth century; nothing is left of it but the lumps and bumps in fields behind the present Welton Manor suggest that it was there.  The village, at this time, would still have been confined to the top of the hill with roads forming a figure of eight around the Church and the original site of Osbern’s fortified manor house.


The 13th Century

During the thirteenth century, there was a population explosion in Welton.  The Chapel was most likely enlarged during this time but would still not have been as large as the current building.  If you visit the Church, you will see a carving of a lion’s head on the west wall which dates from this time.  It may have been a winged lion (look at it from the side to see the wings), the symbol of St. Mark and may have been one of a set of four apostle carvings around the building.  Records still exist of who farmed which piece of land in the common fields.  Some family names would stick around for centuries, for example “Green”, “England”, “Tew” and “Eyre”.  Other families would die out in the troubles of the following centuries.


The 14th Century

The fourteenth century was a disastrous time nationally and locally.  At the beginning of the century, famine, caused by climate change and several livestock diseases, led to hunger and malnutrition.  Then in 1348-9 there was a catastrophic pandemic known then as “The Mortality” or “The Great Pestilence”.  We now refer to it as “The Black Death”. 

The pandemic certainly wiped out a proportion of the population of Welton, including the Priest.  Later in the century the pandemic returned, and by the early 15th century, field and tax records show a much-reduced population.  It is likely that some of the houses in the village fell into ruin during this time.  Some people, however, benefitted financially from the pandemic, for example Henry Eyre who inherited his brother’s property in Welton (later to be known as Welton House) and his uncle’s property in Braunston. 


The 15th Century

In the early fifteenth century, the Mallory family ceased to live in Welton, and the fortified manor house fell into ruins.  The manor still passed to the Mallory family descendants through the female line, but they were absent landlords.  The manor was managed by the Catesby family of Ashby St. Ledgers, and John Catesby purchased Welton House from Henry Eyre.  Welton House was now the most prestigious building in the village.  It would therefore have been quite a natural progression for villagers when William Catesby bought the estate in the 1480s at the same time as acquiring several other villages in the area.  But normal life was interrupted in August 1485. 

William Catesby, a staunch supporter of Richard III, needed to raise an army to fight against Henry Tudor.  It would have been made up from people from the local villages who were duty bound not only to pay their rent to William, but also to offer military service under his command.

 On 22nd August, the armies came together, Richard III lost his horse, his kingdom and his life and William Catesby was captured.  A week later, William Catesby was executed as a traitor and the local villages became the property of King Henry VII.  How many of the army managed to return home, we do not know, but records after this time show that many of the family names did not continue.  It is therefore likely that this one event had a significant impact on Welton.  The surnames Tew, Green and England continued.

Around this time, many villages in the midlands were being cleared for sheep farming.  The population of the country had still not recovered after successive outbreaks of the Black Death, the income of estate owners fell, there were insufficient tenants to work the land and many estates were financially unviable unless the common fields were turned into pasture.  Welton was saved from this fate partially because it now belonged to the King and partially because of the rise of the cottage weaving industry.  There was no shortage of wool!   When other villages in the area were cleared, some of the displaced peasants moved to Welton and farmed the local fields or worked on their looms.  During the sixteenth century, things were therefore looking better for the village; in addition to employment in cottage industries and the fields there would have been a miller, a blacksmith, a wheelwright, a stonemason, a baker and the beginnings of other newer trades.  Many of the village houses were now being built or rebuilt using stone from the local stonepits and if you were very lucky, you may have had a chimney instead of a hole in the roof. 

King Henry VII granted the manor to one of his relatives, David Owen.  David was still an absent landlord, as were his successors.  When King Henry VIII closed the Monasteries and Priories, the Chapel became a Church and for the first time in its history, villagers were allowed to bury their deceased relatives in the churchyard. 

By the time of Queen Elizabeth I, the manor was owned by Richard Knightley (of Norton, Fawsley, Everdon, etc!).  Richard was a keen puritan and installed a puritan as vicar, Eusebius Walker.  This was well before the puritan movement took hold across all of England, and bishops were a little wary of it.

Eusebius came to the attention of the Bishop of Peterborough as he had excommunicated Joan Green for criticising the length of services.  A sermon could easily last for three hours or more! 


The 17th Century

In the Seventeenth Century Richard Knightley sold the estate to the Adams family, who set about building a new Manor House at the bottom of the hill, Churchill Manor.   Although the family administered the estate, they were not the only wealthy family in the village.  The owners of the Ashby St. Ledger estate still held Welton House (and would do so right up to the twentieth century) and there was another family in the village who were establishing a reputation in Northamptonshire, the Clarke family.  During the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries, this family would continue to amass land and wealth, acquiring the estate of Drayton Manor in Daventry and building “Welton Place”, a large mansion in Welton complete with a landscaped park.  Meanwhile, the boundaries of the village expanded down towards the bottom of the hill.

Welton Place

The 18th Century

In the mid-eighteenth century, Welton was one of the first villages in Northamptonshire to feel the impact of inclosure of the common fields.  Whether this was a good or bad thing depended on how wealthy you were!  There were demonstrations, discussions in parliament, petitions, etc., but eventually an act of parliament was passed, and many villagers simply became tenant farmers or worse.  This event altered the landscape; there were new hedges planted and some of the more modern field names were established.  The weaving industry continued in Welton, but by the turn of the century was struggling because of the Napoleonic wars (which disrupted the export of the finished goods) and competition with the cotton industry in the north of the country.  After all, who wants to wear itchy woollen undies when you can have cotton ones!  The problems led to increased poverty in the village, for example, George Ringrose, a master weaver, initially had to expand his business to also run a shop from his house but eventually became bankrupt and lost everything.


The 19th Century

The Clarke family appeared to still be prospering; by the early years of the nineteenth century they had bought the estate of Welton Manor and were also managing farmland just down the road at Thrupp.  However, other documents show that they had a huge mortgage and rents from their tenants were often not forthcoming.  As a result, the debts mounted.  In the 1820s the family were forced to put part of the estate up for auction, but eventually were able to take out another mortgage to cover the debts.   Despite the financial difficulties, the Clarke family did what they could for the people of the village, for example building a school.  The first school was where the village hall now stands, and this was handed over to the National Society who were running Church Schools.  It moved to its current site at the beginning of the twentieth century.

During the second half of the nineteenth century, the vicar, Rev. Darnell, ran a boarding school from what is now the Stone House. 

The Darnell school

This catered for the children of friends of his who were working abroad, mostly in the West Indies.  At the same time, Colonel Richard Trevor Clarke was making a name for himself in the world of horticulture.  He was a founder member of the RHS Scientific Committee, is quoted in one of Charles Darwin’s books and spent considerable time developing hybrids of common garden plants and cotton plants.  I’m afraid the story that he discovered the plant “Clarkia” is a myth – it was discovered by an American seaman, Captain Clark, in the previous century, however, some of our Colonel Clarke’s hybrids had “Weltonia” in the name.  Whilst this all made the village look prosperous on the surface, underneath this story there was severe poverty.  There were three or four attempts to start a workhouse in the village but the solution eventually was a number of parish houses let to the poor on peppercorn rents together with a Parish scheme for distributing alms to the poor.  Properties were falling into disrepair and Welton really was not on the top of the list of desirable places to live.  Some of the properties that were rebuilt during this time used the bricks produced in the local brick kilns but most remained “unsanitary”. 

Despite the poverty, people found enough cash to support the two pubs in the village (The White Horse and the Red Lion).  On Sundays, they would attend St. Martin’s Church or one of the two non-conformist chapels, The Baptist Chapel which sat on the corner where Ashby Road meets Station Road (image below) and the Methodist Chapel, situated in Well Lane. 


The 20th Century

By the beginning of the twentieth century, the new vicar, Mr Edward Liddell, tried to help the unemployed by organising woodwork lessons to teach young men a skill which could lead to employment. 

Their handiwork can be seen in the church with the carvings on the pulpit and the carved hand just inside the North Door.  A brass plaque by the pulpit lists the names of those who were involved.  Sadly, some of those same names appear on the war memorial at the other side of the Church. 

The twentieth century probably saw the biggest changes in the fortunes of the village.  The coming of the motor car led to greater prosperity as people could travel to work.  Welton Place was let to the Garrard Family, jewellers to royalty, and many important visitors came to the village.  Whilst two World Wars took their toll in terms of lives, the devastation in a small village was minor compared to the cities such as Coventry.  Some of the older houses in the village were replaced by more modern houses.  Whilst we can be sentimental about what was lost, we would not wish to live in the conditions of some of those houses.  In the middle of the century, Welton House was bought by Sir Halford Reddish, Director of Rugby Cement.  He was a great benefactor to the village, donating the organ to the church and land for the village hall.  New housing was built as parts of the Welton Place estate were sold off.  Eventually, the mansion itself was sold off and demolished, making room for Clarkes Way.  At the bottom of the village, where Elms Dyke currently stands, there was a plastics factory.  Churchill Manor House was at one stage a Retirement Home, but was later converted back to a house.  By the end of the twentieth century, Welton House had also gone following a fire in the 1980s, making way for Halford Way.  The village was rapidly rising up the list of desirable places to live. 


The 21st Century

And here we are in the twenty-first century.  The next paragraph of history is up to everyone who lives in Welton to design and write for we are all history makers